“The Samsung Galaxy S8 ushers in a new era of smartphone design and fantastic new services, opening up new ways to experience the world,” said DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “The Galaxy S8 is our testament to regaining your trust by redefining what’s possible in safety and marks a new milestone in Samsung’s smartphone legacy.” Both phones running Android 7.0 have a top-of-the-range 10nm, octa-core, 64-bit processor – the exact flavour will depend on the market and mobile operators. You get 4GB of RAM, 64GB memory, which is also expandable via MicroSD up to 256GB. Battery power is 3,000mAh in the Samsung Galaxy S8 and 3,500mAh in the “Plus”. Camera performance is always key, of course. Here on both versions the rear camera is a dual pixel 12MP (F1.7) that takes three images at a time to take data from each and produce the best possible image. The front camera is an 8MP (F1.7) with smart autofocus and facial recognition. Also, Other on-board sensor tech includes an iris sensor, pressure sensor, heart rate, proximity and fingerprint for biometric authentication. There is IP68 water and dust resistance, as you would expect, as well as fast charging on both wired and wireless charging support.
View a video review of the Samsung Galaxy S8 below
Bixby is Samsung’s new digital assistant and these new devices will be the first to feature it. The devices come with a Bixby button which grants you access to Bixby and helps you navigate through services and apps with simple voice, touch and text commands. Samsung also says that users can easily shop, search for images and get details about nearby places with Bixby’s image recognition technology. At launch, Bixby will integrate with several Samsung native apps including Camera, Contacts, Gallery, Messages and Settings, before expanding in the future to include more Samsung and third-party apps.
Moving on, the S8 and S8+ will be available in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray and Arctic Silver. Pre-orders for both devices will begin at 12:01 EDT on March 30, 2017. And they will hit the US stores from April 21. Samsung is also giving out Gear VR headset with Controller and Oculus content for free, to those who pre-order the Galaxy S8 or S8+.
RELEASE DATE AND PRICE
UK pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy S8 open from today (March 29) until April 19 on Samsung.com/uk, as well as from select operators and retailers including EE, Sky Mobile, and Tesco Mobile. Anyone who pre-orders the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ will receive the handsets from April 20, subject to the usual stock availability. In the UK, the Samsung Galaxy S8 will be available at £689 while the Galaxy S8+ will retail at £779. There will be two colours available in the UK – Midnight Black and Orchid Grey. The availability of the third colour, Arctic Silver, will be announced soon.
We currently have no information as to when the devices will hit the remaining parts of the world.
Gear VR with Controller
The Galaxy Galaxy S8 also ushers in the new Gear VR with Controller as well as a new, redesigned version of the Gear 360 to capture 4K 360-degree videos and 15MP photos.
Samsung Galaxy S8 (Samsung S8) specifications
- Operating System
- Android 7.0
- Dimensions and weight
- 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0 mm, 155g
- Octa core (2.3GHz Quad + 1.7GHz Quad), 64 bit, 10 nm process
- 4GB RAM (LPDDR4), 64GB (UFS 2.1)
- 5.8” (146.5mm)1 Quad HD+ (2960×1440), (570ppi)
- Rear: Dual Pixel 12MP OIS (F1.7), Front: 8MP AF (F1.7)
- 3,000 mAh, fast charging on wired and wireless, wireless charging compatible with WPC and PMA
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, 1024QAM, Bluetooth v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)
- Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, DSF, DFF
- MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM.